In 1988 when I was 13, I wrecked my bike going too fast down a hill. I don't remember much of it, except for the pain and dizziness afterwards. Of course I didn't have a helmet on - no one wore them back then. Luckily my Dad was with me and some joggers came by and someone called an ambulance. I broke my collar bone, nose, and had a concussion.
After I healed, I tried to get on my bike again. But going down the slightest decline gave me so much anxiety that I put the bike away.
Sean's been working on me for years, saying that one of these days he'd buy me a bike and I'd ride one again. After moving to this house and seeing all the nice bike paths, I decided it was time. And today, I gave it a shot. I didn't fall, and even went down a few small hills (Ok, so my brakes were on the whole time, but it's a start!). I forgot what a workout it is - my legs will be sore tomorrow!


2 comments:
yay you!!! I'm easily inspired, maybe, but your post gave me a little shiver! I love being able to bike around town and I'm so glad you're doing it.
oh, that's fantastic! C. had a similar fall on a big hill by my mom's house. She's quite skittish now ;)
Post a Comment