Kate's Parent-Teacher Conference
Sean and I attended Kate's parent-teacher conference last week. She's doing great in school (Montessori pre-school). Gets along well with others, likes to help teach the younger kids, and they seem to enjoy having her in the classroom. She has really been interested in addition lately. They start off by writing down problems on paper and having the children use beads to figure out the answers, but now Kate is doing it without the beads. Sean and I tested her over the weekend and she knows or can figure out most problems with single digit numbers and some double digit numbers. She's also a big writer, and constantly labels her drawings. They've started working with her on trying to figure out spellings on her own, and with reading, she's sounding out some words and recognizing others.
We talked about Kindergarten next year, which will be in the public school. They said that some children have difficulty transitioning from a Montessori classroom to a traditional classroom because of no longer having the choice of what to work on, and just said that we should let the teacher know at the beginning of the year. Otherwise, she's in great shape to start K next year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
cool! It sounds like a great conference.
I'd think that she's transition pretty well--especially seeing how public school kindergarteners come from all over the place.
Sometime I'll tell you about M's psychological "testing" (an AP Psych student "tested" her) WRT math. Very amusing!
Post a Comment