Tuesday, May 15, 2007

We've received the estimate for the home repairs. The electrician who did the estimate thinks the inspector was over-reacting to the electrical box. The more research I do, the more it seems to not be a clear cut issue. The electrician said it is a cheaper breaker box and takes maybe a second longer to trip, but that he would feel comfortable having his family in a house with it. It still makes me a bit nervous, but with the electrician saying that, I can't include it in the total estimate cost to share with the buyer. I've looked a bit into how to tell when you have a problem and I think if we remember to check it once/year, we should be OK.

All the necessary repair work is going to cost $1300-$1800 - below our deductible, but not cheap. Ugh. Ultimately, though, there's not another house I'd rather have, so we'll just eat it, and hope we can get it done for less than that (which I'm pretty sure we can). Some of the work we might be able to do ourselves.

We move in one month from today!

1 comment:

bfmomma said...

oh, no... I know when you're buying a house, there's so many unexpected things that pop up (reconnection fees on utilities, etc.). I was hoping it was closer to $1000... But you're right--this house is worth it. And in a few years, that money won't be an issue.

but if the electrical repair gets it over $2000, that might be worth doing... hmmm...