Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Kate has been asking about what is real and what is pretend a lot lately. It's a big thing to try to figure out! Well, we went to see Santa Clause III this weekend, and now the "Is Santa real?" questions are flying. I'm having a hard time with this with her for some reason - it's really hard to not tell her the truth, but at the same time I don't want her to lose the wonder of Santa quite yet. Is it really the right thing to do to make up these creatures for our kids? What does it do to their ability to trust?

I'm still lying, but wondering....

1 comment:

bfmomma said...

Oh, man! I've been thinking that it'll be hard for M., with 5 yo and 8 yo older sibs, to believe for long.

With my other kids, I did the "turn it back on them" thing. Do you think Santa is real? And once they got insistent, I let them in on the big secret, so they could help with their younger sib(s). I think with M. I'll make sure that she keeps it fun for younger friends, maybe.

toughie, though!