Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Remind me never to call Sears Repair Center again...

2 weeks ago I didn't get the freezer door completely closed (on our fridge) as I was rushing out of the house in the morning. We found it open that night. The next morning, I realized that the freezer wasn't cooling, so with some google searching, we figured out it probably just needed to be defrosted (ice had built up on the back of the freezer, too). So, we pulled all the food out, and Sean and I took turns with a hairdryer melting all the ice.

It worked for a week, but the ice started building up again (this is a frost-free freezer). Then, yesterday morning I noticed Kate's frozen pancakes were soft when I pulled them out. So, since this is a Kenmore purchased from Sears, I called them, and they came this morning.

Turns out we just didn't defrost it enough. The repairman removed the back panel of the freezer and the coils were one big block of ice. He used his hair dryer (although it looked like a more manly tool), and melted all the ice. That was it. Nothing was broken. No parts. I could have done it myself if I had known. Cost? $178!!!

Oh, and to top it off, he said we could pay another $100 to have the seal repaired (it's a little ripped, but he said he thought it was probably working OK), or, "my husband" could repair it. Ugh!

I definitely feel like I was just robbed.

No comments: