Friday, September 01, 2006

Transferred posts from xanga blog:

Friday, September 01, 2006

Report on 1st day of high school

Alex's first day of school went well, although was a bit overwhelming, I think. He was disappointed because there weren't many kids in his classes that he knew from Mt. Nittany Middle School (the high school combines 2 middle schools). But, he found all his classes and said they sound interesting so far. His favorite teacher is his science teacher, who described himself as weird and said he encourages weirdness in his class. Alex liked that! I'm sure he'll make new friends soon and will feel more comfortable - it is quite a transition.


Thursday, August 31, 2006

1st report of 1st official day of school

Kate and Alex both started school today. Although Kate has already been going to her preschool for the past month, today was the first day of the official school year, where they get down to the business of learning, and also when she starts going there full time. One of Kate's teachers, Ms. Brooke, is the daughter of someone I work with (Gale). Brooke called Gale this morning and asked her to tell me of the following exchange. For clarification, the downstairs room is for the elementary aged kids; the upstairs room is for the preschool kids.

When a little boy named Nathaniel got there, he said to Kate, "Are you upstairs or downstairs?" Brooke answered for Kate and said, "She's upstairs with me." Nathaniel said (with a sing song voice), "Well I'm downstairs with Mr. Richard." Kate responded with the same sing song voice, "Well my Daddy has more hair than Mr. Richard!"



Saturday, August 26, 2006

Kickoff to Preschool Party

We held a party at Sue's last night to celebrate Kate and AJ going off to full-time preschool and Clarissa's birthday. It was a fun party, and the kids got to experience their first pinata thanks to Ann Marie (AJ and Marina's mom). Kate and AJ both made Sue garden stones for her garden so she'll never forget them. It was an emotional night. Thankfully, Kate still has three days left before preschool starts, and then will be there on days when her school is closed. She's been going to Sue's since she was 4 months old. Sue also gave us a book with picture of Kate at her house - funny to see the ones from a long time ago. Here are a few pics from the party:



Clarissa, Marina, Kate and AJ



The group around the open pinata



Helping Sue find the perfect spot for Kate's stone.



Kate and Sue


Monday, August 14, 2006

Alex's coasters

Alex wanted me to add that he held his arms up for all the big drops in all the coasters he rode at Dorney - Steel Force, Hydra, Talon, and Thunderhawk (Thunderhawk is the one I liked).


Sunday, August 13, 2006

Back from vacation...

...and we're all beat. It was a busy 4 days. Our first stop on Thursday was Harrisburg Hospital to visit Sean's doctor and nurses. The last time we saw them was almost 1 1/2 years ago, so Sean's improvement since then was pretty evident. It was fun to stand around and talk, and it reminded me again how wonderful everyone there is. They were genuinely interested to see us and hear about Sean's recovery. They all look exactly the same to me, and it made me feel like it was just yesterday that I was there daily. We also took the time to walk around downtown Harrisburg and pick up some lunch. Sean never really has seen much of the city.

We spent Thursday night in Newtown with Grammy Lukens, and also saw John (Sean's dad), cousin Barbara, and her 2 year-old son Zachary. We stayed at Friends Village - the retirement home where Grammy lives. The guest rooms are in a house that was the original farmhouse on the land where the village was built - it was constructed in 1690! Sean and the kids were hoping it was haunted, but no one saw or heard anything. On Friday we ate lunch at Goodnoe's - a family restaurant and ice cream place that has been a Newtown tradition for 50 years, and will close this September.

Friday evening we headed north to Emmaus to visit Sean's Aunt Charlene, Uncle Jim, cousins Adam and Alice, and Mommom and Poppop. Mommom seemed to be doing OK - she's back in their retirement home in the Health Center area and is getting physical therapy for her broken pelvis. It turns out she didn't break her hip, which is good. Poppop seemed exhausted from helping take care of her and walking from their apartment to the Health Center several times each day.

Saturday was the big outing to Dorney Park. Alex enjoyed all the big roller coasters and Kate had fun on the kiddie rides in Camp Snoopy. Her favorite was a train that took you through a good portion of the park. I enjoyed the Thunderhawk roller coaster the best - the oldest wooden roller coaster there. Wooden coasters are my favorite. But Alex convinced me to ride Talon with him as well (see http://www.dorneypark.com/public/inside_park/rides/thrill_rides/talon.cfm) - it was the first time I was on a coaster where your feet dangle and the track is above you. I have to admit I didn't like it at all, and it made me feel sick for a while afterwards. I'm glad I can say I rode it, but I won't ride it again! You can see the video at that website, but it doesn't do it justice - the forces were intense. Sean's big ride was the log flume, which was the most he thought his body could handle. He enjoyed the drop, but said it shook you a lot on the way up and he thought his insides were going to jiggle right out of him!

So, now we're home - ready for another week of work. :)


Saturday, August 05, 2006

Haircut

I decided to get my hair cut quite a bit shorter. I'm just getting tired of it. I think I might even go shorter next time.





Mommom

Sean's grandmother broke her hip and pelvis last night. She's in her 80's, so our guess is it's pretty serious (although we don't know the details yet). :( We already were planning on visiting them next weekend, so I'm sure we'll be visiting her in the hospital.


No comments: